Here are two messages I recieved:

   N + 102 Jun 09 Kevin Brantley      ( 0.7K) A few more quick questions
   N + 103 Jun 09 Safari Books Online ( 0.5K) Disregard email request to

I'm wondering two things:

 1. Did anyone else get these?
 2. The address was some 3-letter .net domain, the type usually used by
    professional spam houses and scam artists.

The first one was asking me to fill out a survey about O'Reilly's Safari
book program, indicating I'd signed up to evaluate it, and contained other
text indicating something about their Microsoft section.  The second was a
"oops, you shouldn't have gotten that last email" message.  Both emails
had a "click here if you think you should not be getting this message."

If not actually from O'Reilly, people should be wary.  If they actually
are from O'Reilly, people should be aware that any corporation will
collect any valuable data they can from you (it's all valuable!) any
chance they get.  You have no privacy and are forever doomed.  Muahahaha
*ahem*  Sorry, got carried away there for a moment.

I did actually try Safari Books once upon a time, hoping to have a way to
get books in a more accessible format.  As you all know, I'm legally blind
and dead tree books are a pain in the eye to read for any length of time.
Once upon a time, it was possible with Safari Books to actually subscribe
to their service and download the books.  Too many people were doing that,
though, so it's not really possible anymore.  I gave up on it when I
realized I'd need a live connection to read the books (wouldn't work with
a laptop in a classroom or at some remote site) and found that the site
was a real PITA to navigate.

I'd guess the latter problem has been resolved by now (they surely have
revamped the website at least twice by now) and I've developed some new
skills for doing things website owners don't want people to do, thereby
making the former feasable as well, but I guess I've decided to hold out
for a real way to buy the books in an electronic format, or somehow get at
the electronic book for a small fee to cover bandwidth or media if you
have the dead tree to prove you bought it or something.  The latter would
be the best of all worlds, but is unlikely in this world if mistrust and
digital rights.

Too bad, my favorite O'Reilly books so far are the CD Bookshelf titles
since the dead tree has often been a useful book, and all of the other
useful ones are on CD.  Just the rantings of one guy who can't see worth
crap.  =)