On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:29:34PM -0700, Jason wrote:
> Hey list:
>
> I'm looking for a cheapo network print server along
> the lines of the netgear:
>
> http://netgear.com/products/prod_details.php?prodID=143&view=hm
>
> Anyone have anything good or bad to say about this or
> other similar devices? Pretty simple requirements - 2
> Windows boxes and 1 linux box need to print to a HP
> LaserJet 6P.

I am really starting to like Apple's new toy:

http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/

 - 802.11g access point (bridging is doable)
 - (single) printer sharing to MacOS X 10.2.7+, Linux, Win00/XP
 - Network audio (probably semi-proprietary protocol, don't know yet)
 - It's not a router (I consider that a feature!)
 - $130

I commented last night that it was going to flop most likely except for
Apple diehards because they were gonna charge at least $200 for it and
nobody else would pay that.  At $130, it's looking like a reasonable
network appliance which happens to have lots of uses.  I bet it requires a
CUPS or MacOS X supporting printer, but a Laserjet would certainly qualify
by that metric.

I'd love a week to poke at one of these things--it very well COULD be a
router by the time I were done with it.  ;)