If you want insane download speeds, try Comcast. Comcast was regularly
about twice as fast as my DSL going downstream. Upstream, I found it
to be about half the speed of DSL.

If you want good upload speeds, try DSL.

For gaming and ping times, Comcast was faster, and I'll probably end
up going back to them for that reason and the fact that their customer
service has been great in my experience... unlike the completely inept
Qwest reps.

If you go with a local company, make damned sure they aren't a bunch
of unbathed Linux hobbyists who's "servers" are home-built PC's with
the cases missing. I'd try to visit their offices, if possible, as
well.

Additionally, if you are concerned about your privacy, you might want
to give weight to a big corporation, as I am personally aware of local
folks at a few local ISPs who like  "examining web/nntp traffic" and
"grepping for interesting keywords" in mail spool files. Sometimes
being a little random cog in a big corporate machine is a good thing.

~ per