Did you try the various kernel flags. Seems if one hits F1 (or some other key it shows them. "no acpi" is one i seem to remember.

Chris Enos wrote:
I have been fooling around with Linux for a few years, and I thought I'd try Debian on the new HP a404x computer that just arrived today. It came with XP. After burning the HP System Recovery disks, in case I screwed it up, I tried installing Progeny Debian 2.0, I just downloaded it. It was a No-Go. It boots to the CD, starts to load the kernel then goes blank.

I thought, gee, I'll throw in a Knoppix disc -- same thing.
Xandros -- same thing. Fedora, Suse, Mepis, and none will boot.

I go to the bios setting. It all looks like a regular bios setup to me.

The tag on the front of the computer says "Designed for Microsoft Windows XP." Does that mean I'm had?

So tell me, does anyone have a clue why this computer won't boot even a Knoppix live Linux CD?

Is it truly only designed for XP.

System Specs:

Celeron 2.8GHz
512 PC2100 DDR SDRAM
DVD/CDRW
Intergrated Intel Extreme Graphix 64meg shared
7-in-1 memory card reader
10/100 nic
v.92 data/fax
PS/2 mouse
USB 2.0
IEEE 1394 fireWire

Thanks, Chris

Michael H. Collins  Admiral, Penguinista Navy

http://linuxlink.com

/"\        ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /     No HTML/RTF in email
 x      No Word docs in email
/ \     Respect for open standards

"If you are going through hell, keep going."
 - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)