Jason Van Cleve wrote:

> Quoth Allen Brown, on Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:14:43 -0700:
>
> > Tar and cpio will not copy Windoze.  And I doubt it would
>
> That's interesting.  Why wouldn't they work on fat32 partitions,
> if I can mount those from Linux?

Microshaft pulls a funny with a few of the files.  They *must*
be located at specific places on the partition.  Evidently
their boot process doesn't use the directory.

Linux naturally doesn't respect that since nobody with a sense
of decency would design a system that way.

Actually, this is probably only true for the boot partition.
So you may be able to use tar on that last partition.
As for the first partition, it is highly likely that Dell
is pulling even nastier tricks.  Don't even try to tar that
one.

> > But I see that hdc6 is also Windoze.  Therefore you need to make
> > all of the partitions first and copy all the Windoze partitions
> > using dd.
> >
> > You are free to make the Linux partitions bigger and copy them
> > across using tar or cpio.
>
> So if I have this right, dd will copy any kind of partition,
> or an entire drive, provided the destination is the same size
> as the source (or larger, if I'm willing to sacrifice the
> extra space).  This implies I could just size my partitions as
> before, use dd for all of them, then create a new ten-gig'
> partition for whatever.  How'm I doing so far?
>
> --Jason Van Cleve

Yep.  You got it.  I've done exactly what you are describing.
--
Allen Brown
  work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/