Allen Brown wrote:

If two folks want to share addresses they then make their
phones discoverable?

Well, one must be discoverable. The other does the discovering.

That was probably the weakness that
I heard about. Folks naturally forget to take the phone
out of that mode afterwards. (And in any case, they are
vulnerable during the transfer.)

Most devices that I've seen have three modes. NOT discoverable, discoverable, and discoverable for 10 minutes. Obviously, the 10 minute option is very useful.

Always closed? Bluetooth networks are only as secure as the
weakest node on the network. How secure are Bluetooth
headphones. Notice that they have no keyboard to enter a PIN.

You make it sound like ethernet. Bluetooth (as I understand it) is not like ethernet, and isn't a network connection like that. You CAN set up a gateway on your PC for your paired device, but it's not automatic. If you bring a bunch of bluetooth devices within 100 meters of each other (the theoretical limit of the radio waves) they don't just automatically connect to each other.

I had a Sony-Erricson T68i phone (it dropped calls, I got rid of it). It would pair with my PC with a bluetooth dongle. My buddy across the isle couldn't connect to my phone or my PC because the PIN I enter is only valid for that connection. Each device pairing requires a pin, entered on both devices at the time of the pairing. Once they are paired, they will reconnect without the pin. But the initial connection requires a pin.

I'm not sure how the headset does this. I didn't have one.

Of course there ARE exceptions. There is wide open mode, where it would pair with anything. This would be like leaving your wifi open with no security at all.

I remember reading a Bluetooth white paper several years ago
(before the protocol hit the streets) that talked about linked
Bluetooth networks. If any products implemented that feature
then you pretty much have to assume you are on the open WWW net
at all times.

It's still a device to device network. The phone can talk to the headset and the PC, but the headset may or may not be able to talk to the PC, and likewise. Nothing was able to talk through one device to get to another.

And good habits. But the implementation can require more
discipline or less. Seems like Bluetooth requires more. More
than most people have.

The internet requires more discipline that most people have.

The vast number of spam and virus spewing computers on the internet are proof of that.

Russ