On Tuesday 22 March 2005 09:08 am, Bob Miller wrote:
: The oldest of my SliMP3 devices stopped working today.  I attached it
: directly to a network sniffer and it looks like it isn't sending any
: packets, so it can't get through DHCP discovery.  There is an LED that
: lights up when the network cable is plugged in, so it's at least
: sensing Ethernet carrier.  There's another LED that blinks when
: it receives a packet from the server.
:
: Just before it stopped working, I was unplugging and replugging it
: repeatedly while debugging a server upgrade.  The motherboard flexed
: each time I did that, and I may have broken a trace.
:
: Several of you have a lot more experience coaxing life out of old
: flaky hardware than I do.  What should I be trying?
:
: Thanks...
:
: I've tried:
:       three different network cables.
:       plugging directly into a hub rather than going through the
:       house wiring.
:       different slimp3 on same cables. (it works)
:       other DHCP clients w/ same DHCP server. (they work)
:       using manual IP address instead of DHCP. (still no packets sniffed)
:       cursing.  (satisfying but ineffective)

So, It looks like youve isolated the problem to the slimp3 (this is some sort
of network device? I have no idea...)

one way you can troubleshoot electronics is with liquid oxygen. freeze
individual components, test device, ... If you can make the device work by
freezing an individual component, then you can isolate that component.

another amazingly effective method of of quality analysys is to simply bust
the snot out of any questionable components (ie: gee, I cant see the markings
on this diode, how do I know if its in right? take a pair of plyers, and bust
it, then your sure its not right, and you must replace it.)

maybe you just need PAWS?
Jamie

:
: So I really think it's a broken Ethernet transmitter.

--
/*
 * [...] Note that 120 sec is defined in the protocol as the maximum