Bob, this is great info. Thank you. I have one question, though... I've wanted to backup in the past by copying partitions, but found little obvious documentation on it. Is this something done with a basic tool like dd?

-Max

Bob Miller wrote:

As for whether to copy partition images or just copy the files, there
are several considerations.

 - full partition copy has higher data rate -- backing up file by file
   requires lots of seeks on the source drive, and restoring
   file by file requires lots of seeks on the destination drive.
   If a partition is nearly full, full partition copy will be faster.