If you have a Windows machine handy, you could download and burn a Knoppix live Linux CD (knoppix.org), boot your Windows machine from it, then plug in the external USB enclosure and use commands like this to view the contents of the disk, assuming it is viewable at all:

In a terminal, run:

mkdir /mnt/usbhd
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usbhd

Where /dev/sda1 is the pointer to your USB device.

Other folks on this list, with more data-recovery chops, may have ideas for recovering data in case the above doesn't work. It almost sounds like you are in need of deeper recovery, since Windows won't read your drive.

HTH,
Max

jordan bishko wrote:
Hello,
I was recently trying to format a brand new hard drive in an external enclosure and mistakenly began to reformat the internal boot drive (I know, stupid mistake). The reformatting process lasted about 5-10 seconds and the screen went black. I cannot mount the drive (NTFS) on a Windows or OS X machine. I am in need of getting a specific file folder off the drive (everything else was backed up). I was curious if anyone has the Linux Kernel allowing them to read a NTFS drive to get a file folder off it. The drive currently resides in an external USB enclosure. I would of course be willing to pay someone for their time if they could help. Any takers? Thank you --