Sounds like Jeff bought a *project*.  All houses are projects.
But some come with a majority of the parts you need included.
Some don't.  I hope yours has most...

BTW, I dropped 2 outlets to every wall in my garage.  And I
*love* it.  (Doesn't hurt to have some in the ceiling as well.)
Garages should be well connected.  Including 100BaseTX or similar.
--
Allen Brown
  work: Agilent Technologies      non-work: http://www.peak.org/~abrown/