This is more or less what I was trying to do at the meeting last week with the Tomsrtbt disk and the PII box. It turns out the README did have instructions for getting the kernel off the floppy...

however, I'm not so sure that I could bootstrap it up to Debian at that point. Here's what I did end up doing:

1) Curse at BIOS password for a couple hours
2) Get smart and remove CMOS battery for a couple hours (CR-2032 IIRC)
3) Change boot order, fiddle with other nifty IBM BIOS settings, boot to Ubuntu install CD, install Ubuntu "Warty Warthog"
4) Wait 3 hours as Ubuntu packages from CD are decompressed and set up *cough*Python pre-linking*cough*
5) Observed characteristics of Gnome in 64MB + 50MB swap. The speed hit from low RAM isn't nearly as bad as I'd imagined.

So, what have you all done with the boxen so far? Surely somebody is in the initial days of a Gentoo install... ;)

-Max

One of the things that i enjoyed with this type of install, was its simplicity, boot from a floppy disk, and untar some files... pretty simple, and straightforward. I think the idea is that once you have a usable system, you can roll your own.

Jamie