On Thursday 30 June 2005 05:27, Fred James wrote:
> tonyn wrote:
> > Jamie wrote:
> >> So... ive been trying to find a decent plug for my laptop, I dont
> >> want to have to spend $59+s/h to get another powersupply just because
> >> the plug (to the laptop) is buggered.
> >> Ive replaced the plug with the proper size connector (part from radio
> >> shack...), but those parts are crap, and break a day later.
> >>
> >> what I need is a decent right angle connector (preferably with a good
> >> strain relief). Ive gone to norvacs, they did have some nice
> >> connectors, but none in my size. Ive also gone to radio shack, and
> >> they had the right size, but crapy connectors that break the first
> >> time you trip over the cord.
> >>
> >> I even bought a couple power-bricks from goodwill, but managed to get
> >> the wrong size connector.
> >>
> >> So... where else might i find a right angle power connector?
> >>
> >> Jamie
> >
> >   Sounds like it's time to go to one of the "mail order" distributors
> > like Mouser, Jameco, or Digi-Key.  Since you know the Radio Shack plug
> > is the right size, you can use its size specification as your guide
> > when looking through these folks web sites.
> >
> >   Jameco has the better site for browsing.  The others are better
> > suited  for getting pricing and placing an order after looking up
> > their part number in their paper catalog.  I think Mouser might be
> > more likely to have what you want, but check them all.  There may be
> > an additional handling charge for small orders, but I don't think any
> > of them has a minimum order anymore.
> >
> >   I'd suggest getting a cord with a molded-on plug for the best strain
> > relief.  Plus, you can lengthen your power cord (within reason) so it
> > can be tucked away and be less of a tripping hazard.  Get some black
> > heat-shrink tubing (assuming the power cord is black) and you can make
> > a reasonably nice looking splice.
>
> One word of (perhaps unwelcome) caution:  If root cause cannot be
> overcome, beware of making the connection too strong and thus increasing
> the possibility of breaking the connector out of (or in) the laptop.
yeah, im aware of that, however its much more likely to pull the laptop off
the table before breaking the connector inside the laptop... and Ive been
aware of that possibilitiy... but really when i accidently snag the cord with
my shoe, its always a light tug. usually nothing happens, sometimes it would
unplug, The original plug lasted over a year w/no issue. the new crapy plugs
break within a day or 2.  I think what caused the original plug to wear out
was that it was real close to the ferite(sp) bead.

anyway, i have to move my today, so im too busy to deal with it, maybe next
week i can check out those places that tony menioned. (thanks tony!)

Jamie