Below is an overview doc I put together from info I found on Clearwire
website and elsewhere on the web...

Besides potential environmental and antenna location issues, wondering what
the prospects might be of Clearwire 'overselling' their service locally thus
creating network saturation and bottlenecks resulting in lower data transfer
rates and high latencies?

The current Clearwire service is being referred to as a "pre-Wi-Max"
technology and is suppose to be upgraded to standard Wi-Max, whenever
standards are decided on and can be implemented. Whenever that may occur.

If you sign up for Clearwire do it on a trial basis to test out service.
I've read Clearwire provides a 30-day MBG. Check to be sure.

Clearwire is also operating in Medford and rolling out in Roseburg soon.
See http://www.dailywireless.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4240

Recent Reg-Gd article announcing Clearwire locally:
http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/06/29/e5.bz.clearwire.0629.html

Regarding services/ports (eg. VOIP, P2P, SSH, etc) that may be blocked:
http://www.crn.com/sections/breakingnews/dailyarchives.jhtml?articleId=159905955
http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/1592

For mucho info search on keyword "clearwire" at http://www.dailywireless.org

If all else fails see http://www.clearwire.com

And checkout how the City of Portland is proceeding in regards to wireless
internet (non Clearwire):
http://www.dailywireless.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4334

---------------
Clearwire Service Plans:

Reg-Gd reports: "ClearWire is offering an introductory price of $20 a month
for three months. After three months, residential plans range from $30 to
$38 a month with a $25 activation fee. A business package is $50 a month
with a $50 activation fee".

Residential Downlink/Uplink speeds:
up to 512K down/up to 128K up (3 email)
up to 768K down/up to 128K up (7 email)
up to 1.5Mb down/up to 1.5Mb up (5 email)

Business Downlink/Uplink speeds:
up to 1.5Mb down/up to 1.5Mb up (8 email)

----------------
Local Availability:

Service area limited to Eugene-Springfield urban area.
Local Service map at http://www7.clearwire.com/customer/service_check.php

----------------
Technical:

System requirements at:

http://www.clearwire.com/support/support_sysreq.htm

OS Support:

See http://www.clearwire.com/support/support_faq2.htm
and
http://www.clearwire.com/support/support_network.htm
and
http://www.clearwire.ie/support/faqs.html
(Ireland support site - not sure if same info applies to our local area)

* Basic requirement is an RJ-45 Ethernet port or USB on your desktop PC or
laptop (or router).

* Can share your IP via a router (or wireless router).

* Can plug modem into car AC socket to use with notebook! (Assuming you need
a separate DC to AC converter).

* Operates on OFDM transmission protocol, supporting "secure" wireless data
transmission. Operates at licensed 2.5GHz frequencies (not open public
frequencies like Wi-Fi operates on).

* Can place modem in one room and PC in another and connect thru your
existing electrical wiring (inside your wall) by using a pair of "ClearPlug
Ethernet Wall Mount Modules". Makes possible to set up your Clearwire modem
anywhere, wherever the wireless signal is strongest and you won't need to
run cables through your home/office. Position the modem where signal is best
and connect it to one of the ClearPlugs. In the other room, connect your
computer to the other ClearPlug. Finally, plug both ClearPlugs into standard
wall outlets.

* Web hosting space provided with some account plans. (Unable to locate any
docs in regards to what hosting services/features are available).

* Static IP available (optional).

* There's no limit to how much bandwidth you can use, "subject to the
Clearwire service plan you sign up for" (and the packets and ports which are
blocked).

{end}