If you want some canned fancy Javascript stuff look at Scriptaculous...
http://script.aculo.us/

These are probably good examples to learn from. I've read some of the code there and learned some things. (Taking a peek in Mac OS X's bundled dashboard widgets also has some nice examples.)

I recently learned about attaching Javascript events to items on the page thus keeping the various on* methods out of your code. Similar to how people keep font tags out of their code by using CSS. I've got a book excerpt in PDF I can send you that explains this well. The book is this one:
http://www.sitepoint.com/books/dhtml1/
The few chapters I read were very good. You can get the excerpt yourself in trade for your email.

After reading the above I played with Javascript and Events and from there learned about a Javascript language feature called closures. I think other languages do closures with decorators. Anyway, an article that explains closures is here:
http://www.sitepoint.com/blog-post-view.php?id=171578

With all the AJAX stuff going around Javascript is coming to the forefront and people are doing more than just alert boxes and image rollovers. This is why I read the above anyway.

-Rob