As I was reading the article I was wondering it had such a strong slant against the free-software community and kept trying to push the open-source community to the periphery.

While I agree with this article about the internet providing the medium for a far flung user base to provide feedback (aren't there always users out there who want more for nothing?) - that same internet doesn't mystically sprout ideas and individuals willing to act on those ideas (for free, no less). While Walker may think that Linux and Apache were predestined to come about due to the internet, that line of thinking is akin to waiting for the fabled room full of monkeys to eventually produce a work of Shakespeare (why hasn't the internet given us that by now?).

I've read an article in the past that actually goes pretty much head on against this article. That past article (which I should dig up) says the open-source "community" is a myth. That in fact its not a large number of unknown individuals who are driving (and contributing) to open source, but a small-ish number of core individuals. This article detailed how some companies thought, "oh, let's make our product open source and let the open source community take care of it for us" only to discover no one cared and no one worked on it. Surprise.

Another past article disputes the rogue individualist open-source developer phenomenon by stating that many open source projects are actually either funded with cash or supported with internal developers by large corporations (I know postgresql falls into this bucket).

Personally, I think open source is great when I find some software that solves one of my problems and I don't have to pay for it. I think open source sucks sometimes when I have a good idea for some software and realize that I'll never be able to make money on it. I think the open source mentality now permeates users (maybe just techie users), whose first reaction to most software is "why should I pay for that, I'm sure its out there somewhere for free". I know that companies have hopped on the open source bandwagon - some in a bad way just in their marketing, others in a good way with having some versions of their product open source, with other versions still commercial.

If I looked into my hazy and often incorrect crystal ball, I would predict that the open-source pendulum is swinging way off to one end and getting close to the extreme. Sometime soon it will start swinging back the other way. Not all software should be open source. Users (i.e. potential customers) should not expect to get all/most software for free. Using open-source as an umbrella is a great way for companies to undercut the competition until there is no competition, at which point they can go back to charging. Not that I think we'll have to start paying for bare bones email clients, but we should expect to pay for good software that we like and use. One caveat - maybe users won't have to pay directly, maybe all software will start to either display ads or pilfer your personal information for compensation. That would be ugly.

Walter.