What happens if you boot the *same* box from Knoppix CD and inspect dmesg , /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab (look at mounted/unmounted situations) (I assume the other OSes that could mount the USB drive were running on different hardware?)

If above works look at relevant lines(/dev/sd.. ) in fstab and mtab and you may be able to extract information you can then test on RedHat 9 (well, if RH9 sees it at boot)

 - Horst

Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:19:35 -0800
From: Jim Beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

horst:

I haven't modified /etc/fstab or /etc/mstab. I just have a shell script that executes 'mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt/usb'. It tries sda1 first, if that fails it rolls over to sdb1. This way I can rotate drives and usb ports easy.

- Jim

Recently we swapped external enclosures on one of the hard
drives,
and now the redhat 9 system will not read it or mount it.
However,
any other system will mount the drive fine.  (tried with OS X
and
Fedora).  I would like to avoid updating the file servers OS