There is also a package called rdiffbackup which is
based on rsync, which can do a smarter job of incremental
backups.

http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/

If you want to keep a pair of directories in sync, so that you can
recover it, then you might want to consider unison. It keeps
two directories in uniform relationship, independent
of which directory gets changed.
But it does not make incremental backups.

Remember that a backup which is automatically backedup, is also
automatically backing up typos and mistakes.

There are two things backups are good for: Catostrophic disasters and
for historical recovery from typo's and thinko's.
You may need to have backups for both cases.

My rule of thumb is:

   Data is not backed up if it is not on at least three different media.

Ralph Zeller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 % rsync
 %