Only in the sense that if I look at a text diff between two HTML docs I can
actually read it (whereas the source of an RTF file is just plain ugly).

> Some of you out there might be interested in using
> UnionFS to help version your documents or code/projects:
> http://www.filesystems.org/project-unionfs.html
> <http://www.filesystems.org/project-unionfs.html>
>
> Also:  I thought OOo's docbook has some sense of versioning
> within the format, I'm prolly wrong tho :)
I'll have to look into that more. My initial experiments with taking an
existing document and saving it as DocBook are pretty much useless. Some
documents seem to come out blank - others just come out with <para> tags and
not much else, so there's no formatting at all.

Of course, standard OD documents have a "track/merge changes" option (like
MS Word), but there are more benefits to a repository that go along with
versioning.

> One further idea, a little out there:  you could setup an OOo
> working environment which would copy part or all of your
> document to a local database, each time you save it, and then
> you could have a system external to OOo pull from that DB and
> do what you like with an external VCS.  You could of course
> throw the file in as a zipped blob or XML, etc, and also put
> in time/date, total #chars/words/etc, and then script up the
> decompilation of minimized differences between the versions.
Out there, but some good ideas. Somewhat along those lines - maybe a
web-based system that allows you to upload OpenDocument format files, then
the server unzips them and stores XML either in file or database form, maybe
in a wiki-like environment, where the database keeps track of versions...

> And to further refer to zimbra, I'd like to mention Zimlets:
> http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=Zimlets
> http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=ZimletUtil
> <http://wiki.zimbra.com/index.php?title=ZimletUtil>
> neato :)

Zimbra is pretty slick, but I'm not looking for a new mail server right now
:)

>    Ben
>

> On 6/1/06, Jason LaPier <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
>
>       While we're on the subject of repositories - I was
> thinking about this last
>       night:
>       Does anyone know of a recommended path for using
> subversion to keep track of
>       actual documents (ie non-code)? I've heard of some
> people using XML-based
>       documents for this sort of thing, where they can
> check-in and check-out say
>       (for example) chapters in a book. The you have a
> revision history for actual
>       documentation, much like you'd have for code. I know
> the OpenDocument format
>       is XML based, but when OpenOffice saves an OD file,
> it's actually a zip file
>       containing several XML files in a couple of
> directories. I'm figuring it
>       would be possible so script the unzipping of the file
> as part of the
>       check-in to a repository (and re-zip on check-out -
> ugh), but when I think
>       about all that, it seems like you'd get too much extra
> stuff if you ever
>       wanted to compare revisions, and it may make little sense.
>       Another option is to use DocBook XML, but I don't know
> much about it (and
>       seems to leave me with very little of the
> style/formatting of my original
>       OpenDoc document).
>       Right now, I'm experimenting with using HTML - written
> as a normal document
>       in OpenOffice writer, but saved as HTML, since _most_
> formatting is
>       consistant, and I know when I look at diffs between
> versions it will be a
>       little more human-readable (thankfully OpenOffice's
> HTML is a lot cleaner
>       than MS Word's).
>
>       Any thoughts?
>

>       Jason LaPier