"Ben Barrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 % As for "official nonprofit status", the last time this was brought up, it
 % was put down quickly due to the attainment of 501(3)(c) costing $500-$1500
 % (or more, if not done carefully).
 % I have been making some new friends with attorneys and will ask, but it is
 % not simple and I think the group should look to fund-raise the money to get
 % it done, unless we have an angel on the li$t :)

 Please note:

 1) becoming an official organization with the ability to process
    funds and make contracts is easy and quick. Less than $100 in
    total costs. You can be a non-profit corporation in
    Oregon for $35 and one form.

 2) Being "non-profit" and being "tax-exempt non-profit" are two
    different tasks. And tax exempt non-profit takes $1000  and
    two years or more of work.

 3) you can become an affiliate with an existing tax-exempt
    non-profit and use this as a method for tax exempt donations.

    For example, for the First lego league robotics efforts,
    we have teamed up with the SAO chapter in Corvallis and
    we leave the financial work for tax exempt to the SAO.

    And that seems to be working so far.

 4) Many Linux users groups in oregon have this tax-exempt issue.
    Perhaps if we all cooperated, we could form a larger parent
    organiation , which would have chapters, which would
    spread the cost and trouble around.

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively