Ok, I guess I need somebody to 'learn me' in the ways of Debian, well Ubuntu at least.

I've got a box I setup for my kids recently and I thought I'd put Ubuntu on it. Last night I realized I was running the unaccelerated nvidia driver. So I went to install the Nvidia binary drivers. After downloading the latest version, and installing a bunch of prereq's (damn apt kicks butt), I started the install.

One of the first things you run into is the requirement that the X server be down prior to starting the install. Being from the Redhat verse (well CentOS), I log'd out, switched to a console, and tried 'init 3'.

Nothing. No change. X is happily running along. So I try it again, maybe I flubbed it somehow?!? Well what about 'init 2', that's got to work, right? Nope. After a bit of futzing I'm starting to get frustrated. So I decide I go to the one sure method: I try the magic alt-ctrl-backpace. Success! Fireworks! Happiness! My kids think I'm great, well, for a second. Then GDM starts right backup. WTF? Contemplating violence I try stopping GDM via '/etc/init.d/gdm stop'. That seems to do it, but only after the second time(????).

Now I start to wonder: Why didn't switching runlevels work. In the Redhat Verse the runlevels are as follows, as best I can remember off the top of my head:

   init 1 single user, maintenance mode
   init 2 multi user with no network (not sure, never used it much)
   init 3 multi user with network.
   init 4 nothing
   init 5 multi user with network and with X
   init 6 reboot land

So I start digging. From my poking, I gather that for Ubuntu, there is runlevel 1 and runlevel 2-5. 2-5 are all identical. What's the logic behind this? I know I can modify this to act more like what I'm used to, but I just want to understand the logic behind the all or nothing design... Anybody care to comment?

--Garl