LinuxRocks! wrote:
Im planning on learning how to do video editing under linux... I had to trasfer video onto my windows system last weekend because my set top dvr's both failed to deliver :( i found it really annoying to show the video under windows, and the movie maker program is pretty lame.

So... In the past ive read about a few programs, cinerella, kino, and some I cant remember... I have kino installed on the laptop, but havnt really tried it yet.

If anyone has experience with video editing under linux, I'd like to hear about your experiences.
Jamie

Hi Jamie. Make sure you check the Ubuntu forums about Kino. I find it is problematic, and you have to run it with sudo to make it work. In addition, you have to modprobe several items as well if you want to capture from a DV device like a camera. That is really annoying.

I did get it working once however, it locked up halfway into a capture. I think with your breadth of experience, you ought to be able to deal with that.

I have a dual core Intel 2.8G with 1G dual-channel ram on a 865-series Gigabyte MBD, but an older ATI video card. The video does not advance during capture but you can make it "jump ahead" by moving the mouse over the frame capture buttons. I think that is because of my crappy video card. I have an ATI Radeon 7500 I might try.

Let me know how it goes for you.

Regards, Jim