WELL SAID, Larry :)

I was feeling a bit to the right there for a while, re-reading what I wrote
;)
in regards to net neutrality, that is... and kind of wanting a solution on
the backbone.  Net chiropractor, anyone?

Does this compare well to the postal service (or ups/dhl/etc.)?
My package contents are scanned to make sure I'm not trying to deliver
something
that is essentially threatening, either to recipient or to the delivery
infrastructure itself.
And on the backbone, I don't know how one would expect to be untraceable...
the sense of privacy we can claim now has limits, like neighbors with
parabolic-dish
microphones, telescopes, passive wifi gear, and so forth.

And to Woody (aka Silver, read your post whilst composing this) -- well-said
also, educating leaders will be crucial to the
survival not only of humanity through the information age, but to the
survival and
well-being of our own species Geekus.

Idea:  Maybe EUGLUG could put on a presentation for the City Club of Eugene?
Their meetings get aired on KLCC radio, which is also webcast :)
http://www.cityclubofeugene.org/mission.html seems to fit with their
goals...

cheerio,

ben

PS - bonus material for those interested:  23C3 conference in Berlin, talk
is "Automated Botnet Detection and Mitigation", and video is
copyleft/creative-commons AFAICT
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/Fahrplan/events/1342.en.html
http://video.google.de/videoplay?docid=6428314781144482184
or grab torrent at:  http://www.mininova.org/tor/558684
also see:
http://honeyblog.org/archives/81-Botspy-Efficient-Observation-of-Botnets.html
(there is one entry on honeyblog which shows an bot's popup message, stating
that the FBI is scanning this computer and it shouldn't be touched for the
next 5 minutes!)

On 2/12/07, larry price <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 2/12/07, Russ Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I like the fact that most ISPs have taken the attitude that they are
> just a piece of wire in the circuit.

That is the essence of net neutrality. On a practical level though
most ISPs do engage in some filtering/packet shaping/rate limits  and
all of them have terms in their AUP regarding their right to terminate
service to endpoints that degrade the functionality of the network.

> I didn't ask them to protect me from myself, and I appreciate the fact
> that they aren't acting like big brother.

I've had to deal with several DDOS attacks over the years, in a couple
of cases the value of the service time lost to the attack was in the
thousands of dollars. Botnet infections are a crime that sets the
stage for further crimes; someone has to be the sheriff.

On the other hand I don't necessarily want to live in a world where
every message is traceable to its source and every action can be
scrutinised by anyone. I don't expect that particular tension to be
resolved in my lifetime.

I want ISPs to cooperate with law enforcement in tracking down crimes
on the network, I also want law enforcement to operate under STRONG
judicial oversight aimed at protecting the rights and privacy of the
public.