I was thinking of gentoo because:
1. I thought it had caused laptops to catch fire.
2. The person seems to be a windows type where [EMAIL PROTECTED] is probably a better choice. However I think he has the drive to do a gentoo install and it exposes one more person to linux, though under difficult circumstances.
Jim K

Ben Barrett wrote:
IANAGE (gentoo expert), but AFAIK many laptops are not designed to
handle 100% system load.
Compiling software comes close -- and compilation (and linking, etc)
has a lot of small steps, so
it is not *completely* balls-to-the-wall.  There are other tools which
can keep keep respective components (cpu, disk, memory, bus, etc) at
known levels, controllably.
Folding and mprime are common way to bump CPU :)

You might want to consider burn-in & system-testing software, as well
as benchmarking stuff.
The CPU will be the biggest heat dissipator in a laptop, I'm pretty
sure, but a misdesigned hard
drive heatsink could compound the issue, as could even other
components like graphics,
network, sound, and so forth. It would be fun to see full-on tests on all I/O,
including card readers, USB/1394, wifi&BT, and docking bay, just to
see what happens...

ben