On 5/2/07, roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Basic test.  Try to use a web page containing streaming media.  Ubuntu
fails, Slackware fails, ... etc.  Basically these are distros trying to
mimmick ease of install like Windows.

I watch more youtube than I should on Ubuntu,

Automatix2 handled most of the dodgy stuff.
http://www.getautomatix.com/

Mandrake succeeds in loading the streaming embedded media without too
much of a hassle as codecs and other win32 proprietary codecs are
available through an alternate site.

As for the other distros I mentioned, I couldn't find any alternate site
for codecs, if at all. (Ubuntu had something similar to Mandrake's
alternate site, matter of fact, using the same site.  But it got
yanked.)

Gentoo is another winner, but being bias here as I run Gentoo too.
Still, Gentoo probably isn't even a consideration as it's source based.

Ah, Gentoo, that explains it.