I got this email from a local business and thought it was the sort of
thing that the Eugluggers might enjoy, despite the time conflict.
Anyone interested?
                -Mike

We don't believe this to be a coincidence." --— Jeremy S. Anderson

SCIENCE PUB
DATE: The 2nd Thursday of every Month
TIME: 7-9pm
LOCATION: Luna at 30 East Broadway

MORE: Just what is the Science Pub anyway?
The Science Pub http://www.omsi.edu/sciencepub is a monthly event where
you can find out about advances in science and technology from leading
researchers and scientists, all while enjoying food and beverages.
Don't expect a remote speaker behind a distant podium.  Instead,
experience the informal atmosphere where you can interact with the
expert and where there are no silly questions.  No scientific background
is required; just bring your curiosity, sense of humor, and appetite for
food, drinks, and knowledge!

The Science Pub will be held every second Thursday of the month and is
open to anyone and everyone.  No RSVP is necessary.  Please feel free to
pass this on to your friends and colleagues, and we hope to see you
there!

For a list and description of upcoming Science Pubs, please visit:
http://www.omsi.edu/sciencepub

The Science Pub is brought to you by OMSI http://www.omsi.edu/,
University of Oregon http://www.uoregon.edu/, and Science Factory
http://www.sciencefactory.org

Check out our first two speakers and topics:

Join us at the Science Pub on Thursday, June 14 at 7:00pm for our first
topic and speaker:

Nanotechnology: New Science for Society and the Environment
with Dr. Jim Hutchison, Professor of Chemistry at University of Oregon,
and Director of SNNI and Materials Science Institute
http://www.uoregon.edu/~chem/hutchison.html

Nanotechnology is an incredibly exciting and promising new field arising
from the design and manipulation of matter at the molecular and atomic
level.  New tools that allow us to build materials from the bottom up
are leading scientists to imagine an amazing range of applications that
include cheap and clean energy, reduced environmental pollution, greater
computing power, solutions to world hunger and national security, and
cures for devastating diseases such as cancer.  However, there are
uncertainties about how new nanomaterials might affect human health and
the environment.  Find out how nanotechnology can benefit society and
how scientists are dealing with potential and real risks.

Dr. Jim Hutchison is Professor of Chemistry and the Director of the UO
Materials Science Institute.  His specific research interests include
preparation and study of nanoscale materials, and he played key roles in
developing the UO's nation-leading program in
"green" (environmentally-benign) organic chemistry
http://greenchem.uoregon.edu/ & http://www.greennano.org/ .  He is a
member of the Oregon Nanoscience and Microtechnologies (ONAMI)
http://www.onami.us/ leadership team and leads ONAMI's Safer
Nanomaterials and Nanomanufacturing Initiative.

When: Thursday, June 14
Presentation begins at 7:00pm and will last around 1.5 to 2 hours.  Come
early if you want to order food and drinks!

Where: Luna, 30 E. Broadway, Eugene http://www.lunajazz.com/

Science Pub 2# on Thursday, July 12 at 7:00pm:

Will the iPod Generation Be Deaf?
Dr. Billy Martin, Professor of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery at
OHSU http://www.ohsu.edu/ohrc/staff/martin/martin.html

The iPod has become a cultural icon with more than 100 million iPods
having been sold worldwide.  Lawsuits, rumors, accusations are flying
around about the role of iPods in the current epidemic of noise-induced
hearing losses, especially among young people.  Sure, loud sound must be
able to damage ears, but how much sound is required?  Can iPods or other
personal stereo systems cause deafness?  What can I do to save my
ears?

Dr. Billy Martin is a world-renowned hearing scientist who deals with
all kinds of noise that affects our community.  He leads a team of
Portland area scientists, educators, clinicians, public health experts
and others in the study of noise induced hearing loss and tinnitus
prevention.  Dr. Martin will talk about the dangerous noises in our
every day life - what they are, what damage they cause, and how to
protect yourself... iPods included.

When: Thursday, July 12
Presentation begins at 7:00pm and will last around 1.5 to 2 hours.  Come
early if you want to order food and drinks!

Where: Luna, 30 E. Broadway, Eugene http://www.lunajazz.com/

Join us for Science and a Beer,
Adam Bernstein, Owner
Robert Kelsey, Luna Booking Agent