Alan wrote:
On Fri, November 2, 2007 3:53 pm, Garl Grigsby wrote:

Now, about the 'clean room' guy. Here again, we don't know what was said
initially. They claim he said that it *may* be the hard drive. So
assume, again, that the 'customer' is pressuring him for a cause. So he
starts rattling off possible causes. Hard drives are known for dieing.
So he says that along with another string of things. So now she starts
saying that there is stuff on there that she just *has* to have:
Business records, tax documents, pictures of her cat, whatever. So he
says, if the data is that important, you could send it to a data
recovery shop and explains the process, including the clean room part.
In fact he even points out that you would have to put a price on your
data.

The key phrase is "in less than two minutes".
That's upsell. Unless the hard drive was making the click of death as soon
as he turned on the machine, he's completely full of crap.

Only if his company sells data recovery services. How many of these places do that? Not many, I'd guess. I still don't believe this was malice or at I won't believe that without more proof. It is far to easy for me to see the 'reporter' leading the conversation. You know how easy it would be to lead somebody into giving you the worst possible case?

Garl