There are many different subtle choices to how assignments can be
managed. Oregon State Engineering has a home grown assignment management tool.
It solves many of the base issues for running classes. However, it is not
enough.

I have used both Wiki's and Drupal in teaching classes. I found that
the number of choices that drupal provides can get in the way for some
students. So if I were to run a class again, I would craft a very simple
drupal site. However, drupal does not provide everything you might
like. Or at least not at the right angle for classes.

It is best to think of Drupal as a toolkit. It can build what you want.
But it will take some attention.

Moodle is a simpler, more specific tool aimed at teaching classes.
you give up some of the possibilities that drupal offers, but it also
eliminates some of setup costs for the site.

You will need to amortize the cost of learning the tool over several
terms to make it worthwhile.

My wife uses moodle where she teaches and seems to like it.
I find it too constraining and spend the time to build my own drupal.
However, for the fast solution, I found that phpwiki did a great
job for me, but it took some social engineering to manage.

john fleming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 % I have a friend who might have a use for an online course. students would=
 %  either email assignments or write them online. Does the collabrative mod=
 % e of drupal fit this, any other apps that might work.

-----
                        .           computers and the Internet
                          .            more effectively
                             .