instead of invoking the script with #!/bin/bash try using "source
scriptname" to run it within the current shell.  the #!/binbash
invokation spawns a subshell to run the script and the returns, blowing
away any environment variables you might have set.

                        -Mike

"Counting in octal is just like counting in decimal, if you don't use
your thumbs." --— Tom Lehrer.