did anyone see (or interested) in this slashdot article?

http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/05/04/0359232
Dan Rutter Suggests Tossing Some Wi-Fi At the Neighbors

I am very interested in using linux to do some similar things like this..
around here..

anyone already, ahead of me?

 I have also been playing with a war driving machine (in another common, yet
inferior, OS)  has anyone done this in linux, and want to share, their
hardware, software tools, and experience?

I am especially interested in the GPS equipment, receiving the signal, and
logging.. (what works with easily with linux?)

I will start this equipment thread, by sharing some equipment, i have used for
war driving:

http://www.jefatech.com/product/wardrivingkit
http://www.jefatech.com/product/WARDRIVINGKIT-USB
http://www.jefatech.com/product/VA24-16F/16dBi_24Ghz_Die_Cast_VAGI_Antenna.html

I have had spectacular results, with this gear!

 often if using, conventional USB, or pcmcia wi fi gear, the laptop will only
"see" (or find) 0-2 networks..

with the above gear, swapped for the conventional equipment, I will often
easily see 7-15 networks!

personally, I think the 200 mw output, and the ease of swapping in/out many
different antennas (directional, or omni-directional) are the most valuable
attributes

I purchased the above mentioned gear specifically because it will work with
linux, but i have not had the opportunity to set up a linux machine and test
it.. yet..

I have heard rumors that, the software list of networks will usually only show
a maximum of 15 networks..is there linux software tools, out there, that will
see a far longer list of networks, if available?

I want to war drive the local area to see if i can find some spots that would
have a "good reception" of a lot of networks, so later ( I hope) to set up
equipment similar to the slash dot article..

I hope to eventually get an OLPC as the portable linux war driving machine
(very low power consumption, very portable, with any small rechargeable 12Vdc
lead acid battery) and use the above gear to war drive easily, especially if i
have to climb a few large, local hills..

I think a local "free wi fi network" would be invaluable, in case of any
"katrina event" that may, possibly, ever happen..

just a crazy idea..

fwc