> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 12:39:44 -0700
> From: "Ben Barrett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Eug-lug] war driving & establsihing a local free wifi
>       networ
> To: "Eugene Unix and Gnu/Linux User Group" <euglug@euglug.org>
> Realistically, all uplinks would likely have to be a business-class
> service.  Most folks who already have a wifi router/repeater have
> private uplinks with qwurst or bumcast, but if you could come up with
> a couple hundred firmware-upgradable devices we could prolly setup a
> mesh.

Does anyone know whether the unfinalized "ad-hoc mesh" spec, 802.11s, will
directly advance such wifi networks, as is purported?

Regardless, it seems to me that the kernel (financial) problem underlying "free"
services is some sort of commercial-, public- or angel-based subsidy.  I've long
been interested in a mesh-related commercial application that helps cover the
cost of devices and infrastructure, but is also suited to such general use and
accessibility, i.e. the local community.

A commercial application lowers the cost to users and can expand the market for
ancillary applications very quickly.  Mesh throughput, as I understand the
architecture, improves with the number (density) of transceiving devices.  The
trick in working on a potentially useful application is having an "umbrella"
that keeps potential me-too interlopers from lowering (commoditizing) the value
of one's development efforts, if you get my drift.

I'd like to get comments, on or off the list, as appropriate.

Dennis Hollenberg