On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 2:01 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm am very interested in experimenting with mesh networks and developing
> related applications.  IMO the potential benefits and social impact of ad
> hoc
> wireless networks remain largely undreamed of.
>
> Anyone else?

I'm interested. Fifty bucks a month to Comcast for the rest of my life isn't
my idea of a Good Plan and I would like to see more people of limited means
able to engage in high-bandwidth networking.

Depending on my situation when relevant needs might arise,  I might be able
to contribute some legal research. During the wind-down years of my law
practice my only major client was a central Oregon-based radio telephone
company. I dealt mainly with squabbles with the Forest Service and Bureau of
Land Management over their environmental abuses and co-tenant issues, both
involving established rebroadcast sites on federal land mountaintops.

But I picked up a smattering of more broadly applicable communications law
in the process, at least enough to understand most of the words. :-)

It should be clearly understood, however, that: [i] I lack depth in the
specific areas of concern; [ii] I'm no longer into spending days at a time
in the U. of O. Law School library; and [ii] I resigned my Bar membership
when I retired and it is a misdemeanor offense for me to engage in the
practice of law. I may only express my personal opinion on the law and may
not lawfully give legal advice.

A project of the type you describe would unquestionably require involvement
of at least one competent, licensed lawyer at some point to achieve
fruition. Still, there is no legal barrier to a licensed attorney using any
legal research I might contribute in order to reduce the expense to his or
her client(s).

I could also probably assist in choosing among lawyers. E.g., when last
heard from, one of my buddies from my law school days was handling corporate
affairs for most public interest non-profit corporations in the
Eugene-Springfield area. Because of the knowledge he has developed in that
specialty area of practice, his total fees for equivalent services are far
less than hiring a general practice lawyer who would have to do extensive
legal research to perform the same tasks with equivalent quality.
Identifying lawyers with the needed expertise and experience is the basic
task in holding down legal expenses.

Based on my own experience with citizen groups I was involved in or
represented on particular issues, getting non-profit corporate status is the
key barrier to obtaining seed grants from grant organizations such as the
McKenzie Foundation, as well as longer-term funding from other types of
grant organizations.

I don't know what my friend charges these days (or for that matter whether
he is still around and practicing law), but in the early 90s, his standard
fee was $300 for establishing a non-profit corporation and providing a
starter set of the required corporate documents that must be maintained and
updated at important points, along with a written set of instructions.

At the time, equivalent services to crank out a non-profit corporation by
lawyers in the geographic area whose practices focused on for-profit
corporations started around $1,200.  My friend's specialization in
non-profits allowed him to charge far less because he is far more familiar
with the more narrowly focused applicable law and has a library of relevant
electronic forms. It also helps that he is civic minded and isn't aimed at
buying a second home in the Bahamas.

Finding the right lawyer for the given situation is important. I don't
always know who the right lawyer is, but my contacts give me the ability to
do a better job of tracking down a suitable candidate than most folk less
connected with the local legal community. The Yellow Pages are a lousy
resource for finding the right lawyer.

Best regards,

Marbux