'Twas a bit more of a fluke that it worked. Generally speaking, you shouldn't
have a problem with that card as it is detected *but* with that quality of
hardware it's difficult to say what the exact issue is. Make sure your
integrated audio is still disabled as some BIOS's have a tendency to revert
back to defaults when power cycling. Other than that, the only thing I invoked
in a terminal was 'alsamixer' which is essentially the same as the existing
volume controls. You don't have 'alsaconf' installed which is another helpful
command line utility for mucking with your sound. Open the package manager
(Synaptic) and search for "alsa". Install anything like "alsa-utils" or
"alsa-tools". One of those should include 'alsaconf' which you can run from a
terminal.