From: euglug-boun...@euglug.org [mailto:euglug-boun...@euglug.org] On
Behalf Of Quentin Hartman
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 8:32 AM
To: spencer carter; Eugene Unix and Gnu/Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [Eug-lug] very frustrated!!!

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 11:48 PM, spencer carter <spenc...@uoregon.edu>
wrote:
>  so this being my first attempt at ubuntu, and im hating it, at first
it was really cool, but now im sick of the fact that i cant do anything,
if i want any program i have to spend 4 hours trying to package it,
un-pack, talk about it in terminal, and all those steps.  it took about
8 hours to just get WoW onto it, and it still doesn't play!! spent about
12 hors trying to het java and i still dont have it!!

I'll second what Larry said about it sounding like you are
(unfortunately) doing things the hard way. The "Add/Remove..." tool
that he pointed you is a good jumping off point, and will greatly
simplify installing many things. The full Synaptic (which is
avauilable by clicking on System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package
Manager) will give you more complete control over the software than
the Add/Remove tool, but it can be a little daunting.

Also keep sight of the fact that in trying to install WoW first, you
chose a relatively difficult first task. You are trying to get a
Windows software to run on Linux. Your experience there will be
substantially different than the common case of dropping in something
from the Ubuntu repositories.

> im born and raised windows, and so its very tempting to go back to old
faithful, but  i feel like there is a reason the true computer guys run
linux. yes i have read many beginners guides, but they dont help. any
ideas? or should the "not computer oriented enough kid" go back to
windows?

I think you should keep plugging if you are finding it interesting at
all. The payoff is well worth the learning, if you ask me. From the
sounds of it, you are stuck in what I call "the difficulty divide". I
wrote an article on it that you can see at
http://www.workswithu.com/2008/05/26/the-difficulty-divide/ . Another
thing to look at when you have un-frustrated a little bit is
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm . Those might help give you a
little bit of insight into things.

In the meantime, keep sending your problems to the list, and someone
should chime in to point you in the right direction. I saw that there
was what seemed to be a healthy thread started on WoW recently. I
presume that was you? I'll take a look at it again and see if I might