From: Dave Compton <to.dav...@gmail.com>
Subject: [Eug-lug] Re: Linux Ubuntu Install Tutorial
To: "Eugene Unix and Gnu/Linux User Group" <euglug@euglug.org>
Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2009, 8:37 PM
I think the greater danger is from dual booting windows
& linux (with or without wubi).  An infected windows
machine could write malware directly to the unbooted linux
partition.  This would be both an easier way of spreading an
infection and more effective since *any* windows/linux
system would be vulnerable to it - not just those that were
installed via wubi.

In fact, even the generic dual boot vulnerability seems
like a pretty convoluted way to spread malware.  Once you
have control of a windows machine, the thing to do would be
to *use* that windows machine to carry out your evil plot -
not try to infect an unused linux partition in the hope that
it might someday be booted.  The windows -> wubi ->
linux risk seems even lower.

Once the wubi install process is complete you *do* end up
with a linux system that, at a low level, piggybacks off of
the windows boot system to work.  It bothers me too but just
as a matter of principle - not for security reasons.

- Dave