> Mike - right, I forgot about xinput -- I'm still running Ubuntu 8.04
> on all but one of my machines.
>
> Allen - The random jerkiness is because of your mouse acceleration.
> The xset(1) man page explains the algorithm.  You could try
> turning acceleration all the way off ("xset m 1/1 1") and see if that
> doesn't eliminate the random movement.

That makes the jerkiness smaller. It makes all motion smaller.
But the jerkiness is still there.  In fact I would say the only
thing that has changed is that everything is scaled down by a
bunch.  That's not a bad thing.  I can now hit small targets
after a few tries.  And I can hit big targets on the first try.

It would be nice if the mouse would track my actual movements.
But this is better than nothing.

BTW I looked for documentation on HAL.  No man page.  No info
page.  I wish the distribution owners would lay down the law:
No programs, packages, modules can be added without man pages.
--
Allen Brown
http://brown.armoredpenguin.com/~abrown