TLDP has a bunch of howto's that can be downloaded and if you get the
shell programming guides that is a good start
http://tldp.org/guides.html#abs

There is also a guide to all of the commands
http://tldp.org/LDP/GNU-Linux-Tools-Summary/html/index.html

On a debian or ubuntu system you should also download the docs package
for any servers you are running as that will often cover the concepts
you will need to make use of the information in the man pages.

Remember that any command you use is a program so for more obscure
items you may need to look at the source as that is always up to date.