I do something similar.  I have 4 "root" partitions.  I install
into them in round robin fashion.  So at this point I have
Ubuntu edgy on root1, 7.10 on root2, 8.04 on root3, and 9.04 on
root4.  I can boot into any of them.

There are complications.
When you login with a newer distribution kde and gnome update
their dot files.  Unfortunately this sometimes breaks the older
version so that you can no longer login with it.  So I also have
multiple home partitions. I have to use the appropriate home
partition for the root partition.

The majority of my home partition data doesn't have this problem.
It goes into a separate partition which does not get updated.

I do fresh installs each time, rather than letting the OS do
the update.  OS updates may be clean now but I had problems
in the past and I prefer to stay with something I *know* works.
--
Allen Brown  abrown at peak.org  http://brown.armoredpenguin.com/~abrown/
  When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad I'm better. --- Mae West