On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Allen Brown <abr...@peak.org> wrote:
> I haven't been happy with KDE or Gnome since Ubuntu 7.10.  So
> I'm still running 7.10 on my workstation.  I played with
> xfce4 but couldn't figure out how to play DVDs.
>
> It has seemed to me that both Gnome and KDE are in a race to
> the bottom.  Let's see how many desirable features we can
> remove?

A work environment that can drop in and replace KDE 3.5 without
significant loss of user productivity seems to me to be a major
component gone missing in KDE 4.

I can buy the need to redesign the code base, but the sheer number of
changes in the UI and number of apps and libraries broken by the
changes is far too radical for production environments..

>From here, it looks like they were way off target on the balance
between developer creativity and user productivity requirements.
Looking back to when development was just starting on KDE 4, the
warning signs on the GUI were there in the Plasma Project's vision
statement for KDE 4. <http://plasma.kde.org/cms/1029>. Hindsight is
20:20, but I wonder why cooler heads didn't reign in the eye candy and
gadgetry crowd.

BTW, I'm on the mailing list for Quanta-Plus, which is badly broken on
KDE 4. Its lead developer is just now getting started on a rewrite for
KDE 4. This paragraph from an email to that list earlier today nicely
summed up the situation:

"I'm quite sure there are apps that are more important for some, like
networking and server type stuff, but you would think in this internet
oriented world that web development tools would be very close to the top
of the list. Treating web development as a red headed step child in this
day and age is in-excusable."

Best regards to all,

Paul

--