> Allen Brown wrote:
> But I would prefer to know
>> what it was complaining about.
>
> You can look in /var/spool/nullmailer/queue for the actual messages to
> see what is carping.

That helps!  Cron is having trouble.  I've set up a personal cron
to run every minute.  It runs a script which decides which other
things need to be run.  It in turn depends on /etc/profile being
right, and I haven't fixed that from the default Ubuntu provides.
I will fix that now.  Thank you.

> Also look in /etc/nullmailer/remotes to see where it wants to send mail.
> Chances are the host is either wrong or non-existent.
>
> -ajb

It says "mail."  Seems pretty useless.  And there is no man page
or info page for nullmailer.  I think software without a man page
should be banned from the distribution.  But maybe that's just me.

Scanning the net it sounds like nullmailer is for systems which
always can talk to a smart mail server.  I don't that applies here.
OTOH I'm not sure I want the system to be doing anything with mail.
So perhaps the answer is simply to remove nullmailer from the system.
Of course that would mean I wouldn't get debug info from cron.
--
Allen Brown  http://brown.armoredpenguin.com/~abrown/
  A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it's written on. --- Goldwyn