Thanks for the summary -- I know, I am late as this is from last year.
One thing you may want to consider adding to you hardware list for 'The Trip' is a wireless router.

Why?
Although iPhone sync and OS updates are done over the White Cable, much more interesting communication with servers/clients *of your choice* take place over wireless. That's the case even if you don't have an uplink to the internet. Keep that in mind, you can have your own little haraldnet (192.168.x.y) wherever you are, withwhom you want to include, or exclude.

 - the obvious, if your phone is jailbroken, are ssh, scp, sftp, rsync...
 - For official sharing iApps I'd recommend "Air Sharing Pro". It costs a few
bucks, but is worth every penny.
   As a server it supports  http  https  webdav(*)
   As a client it supperts ssh (actually a GUI to sftp), ftp, iDisk,
FilesAnywhere, ...
   and has a couple of viewers based on .extension  (.txt .pdf .xls(*)
.[scripts] +more...
   i.e. C code, python scripts (Hal fill in for .pl :-) are presented syntax
highlit
   e.g. I can sftp a file from anywhere_with_sshd to my phone
   + much more...

(*) As for webdav protocol, look it up...
I was prep'ed to give a little demo at the ITproForum's lighty talks in Aug2009, but we had enough speakers, so maybe I'll may do it in Aug2010.

As for:
mcherba wrote: With a rooted droid, you could set it up as an access point and access the net through it from your laptop. That might work a bit better, but I'm sure the iphone has apps that turn it into an access point.
Has anyone seen an official iApp to do this? --sounds kind of contrary to the propriatary Apple philosophy.

 - Horst