From: euglug-boun...@euglug.org [mailto:euglug-boun...@euglug.org] On Behalf Of
marbux
Sent: Sunday, April 18, 2010 6:01 PM
To: Eugene Unix and Gnu/Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [Eug-lug] linux

Bob, dual-booting is a real pain in the bohunkus for making the
transition from Windows to Linux. Not that many have not done it that
way, but running Linux on a virtual machine atop Windows works very
well. Big advantages are that you can use both operating systems
concurrently, share data partitions and the integrate the clipboards
between the two systems, etc. And it's a keyboard shortcut to switch
back and forth.

I've got two boxes, the older 32-bit machine that's running WinXP Pro
natively and Ubuntu 9.10 32-bit as the guest OS. The newer system is
running Xubuntu 64-bit natively and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit as the
guest OS. Both machines are running with 2 GB of DDR2 RAM. Win 7 is a
fresh install and runs very slow as a guest so far, although I haven't
begun tweaking the memory alllocation between the systems. But I may
need to add RAM to that machine.

On the 32-bit machine, Ubuntu runs quite fast as a guest.

Of the free virtual machines, some -- perhaps most on this list --
prefer VMWare as the virtual machine. VMWare Player
<http://www.vmware.com/products/player/>. I see that it looks far
easier to install an OS on than it used to be when I was looking for a
VM. I may give it another try.

I use Sun's (now Oracle's) Virtual Box because it was easier for me to
install and configure an OS using it a couple of years back.
<http://www.virtualbox.org/>.

I am far from being a hacker but was able to set up both systems with
some studying of documentation and a bit of experimentation. And it
really beats dual-booting.

Best regards,

Paul

--