From: euglug-boun...@euglug.org [mailto:euglug-boun...@euglug.org] On Behalf Of
Michael Miller
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 10:52 AM
To: Eugene Unix and Gnu/Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [Eug-lug] Unix AIX 5.1 - Can't access Mail program/need to delete
large Mail file

So what I would do is stop the MSA/MTA. (Sendmail Postfix whatever.)  I would
then save off the mbox file or maildir file depending on how it's setup up.
After saving off that data I would then cat /dev/null > {mbox} or rm -rf the
maildir.  Recreate the mbox file or maildir file an restart the MSA/MTA.  You
should be fine after that you might also think about redirecting said e-mail on
AIX box to another address.  That way you don't have to run into this issue
again.

-mmiller
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM, French, Derek
<derek.fre...@learningservicesus.com<mailto:derek.fre...@learningservicesus.com>>
 wrote:
Using Unix AIX 5.1 box, and unfortunately let mail file get too large
(304megs), and now I can't get into the Mail program to delete the emails at
the root directory because it says, "/tmp : No space left on device." I don't
see any other large files/am uncomfortable deleting any other files in the
/var/tmp folder, so...can I delete the large mail file that is at the path
/var/spool/mail/root     and still be ok, i.e. it will regenerate the file when
I try and get back into the mail program? Or will it permanently delete the
Mail program? Thanks for your help. P.S. I have very little Unix knowledge.
Derek