In the Amateur Radio community, C64's were among the very first to mix
radio with data. I remember one sitting atop Black Mountain
above the Santa Clara Valley doing packet radio long before the general
public even had a clue what internet was. We had arpa.net addresses
well in advance of 1200 baud telephone dial-ups. Mine were 44.24. I think.

In the professional broadcast world there are still AM stations using
c64's to switch between day and night antenna patterns and read
analog data. The joystick ports can be fed with a simple resistive
network and are almost impervious to anything this side of lightning!

I had a ham buddy in San Jose who made a cnc of sorts using a high speed
dental drill affixed to an HP pen plotter and located with a
c64 via basic. He sold custom milled name badges and fibre optic ells
and mirror switches at the Foothill College swap meet for years.

And they think they original in Austin! Pshaw!