On 4/11/2011 6:17 AM, JS Kaplan wrote:
> On 4/7/2011 7:04 AM, Harald Sundt wrote:
>> — Now what you'll want to do if you don't have the CD that came with the
>> computer with the drivers for your laptop is to Ethernet cable connect
>> your laptop to a computer with an Internet connection. Go to your laptop
>> manufacturer's website and download the drivers for the Windows
>> operating system wireless app. Then when you reboot into Windows with
>> that installed you can connect to the Internet and get all the rest of
>> the drivers and whenever you want in the way of apps.
> Not noob centric. One must use a crossover cable to Ethernet with
> another computer.
Most modern PCs can do an automatic crossover.  But a crossover cable is
best.

Regarding Linux on a Windows PC.  I use Ubuntu 10.04 everyday for
embedded development.  It runs beautifully under VMWare in Winblows XP.
I can drag files between Windows and Linux.
Download the free VMWare player and create a new virtual machine.
Insert the Ubuntu CD and it installs automatically.  It shares the
Windows drivers so you get a working system (ENET, USB, audio, all
work).  Allocate 100G or so of disk space for the Virtual Machine.