I am relatively new to the group (also went to ITProForum for the first time
last night) so take my opinion with a grain of salt…

I had been meaning to come to meetings for quite some time but it's easy for a
time and date to get lost in a flurry of email. If there was a Facebook event
people got invited to, as well as regular reminders on Google+ and/or Twitter,
it might help other people like me actually make it to a meeting once in a
while.

That said, I think those things should be used primarily to promote the group
rather than making them yet another venue for discussion… at work our tech
group has a mailing list, a blog, a wiki and probably something else I am
forgetting. There is no clear purpose for one or the other, so communication is
pretty fragmented and people use one or the other depending on personal
preference. I would not want to see that happen here.

To sum it up: I like the idea if it stays focused and doesn't pull activity
away from this list.

Thanks for listening!
David