As this is my first posting to this group, I'll attempt not to sound
fanatically ignorant.

Your concept of using quasars or other such means as a method of signaling a
civilizations existence, whether an alien one or our own at some future time,
is interesting.  But is does raise one question.

Why?

Why would an advanced space faring civilization want to signal to any and all
'rookies' that "Here we are!  Come visit!"?  Perhaps with the advances such a
culture has made, they have determined that dealing with other cultures "when
the time comes" is preferable to the universes largest billboard technique.
It seems to me rather presumptuous to think that advanced civilizations can't
wait to meet us, or any other developing world.  Many novels have argued, and
I tend to agree, that if we survive ourselves and make the jump into
interstellar then intergalactic space, the first meetings would be for trade
and assurances, not giving a helping hand to any one who asked.  Space
exploration may begin with governments sending out a 'Magellan' or a
'Cortez', but whichever the case may be, the 'Hudson's Bay Company' will be
sure to follow to capitalize on what they find.  I for one doubt that alien
civilizations care to have a bunch of outcast adventurers and fur trappers
homing in on their beacons.

I hope I haven't insulted anyone's intelligence too badly for a short message.

Dave Price