Pardon me, but what's the point of going all the way to Mars, only to fool
around with a little rock orbiting the big prize?

It seems to me that practical, economic sense, and a sense of what is
politically expedient would rule out setting down on an isolated rock, when
it would be simply easier to land on Mars, and go forward.  Mars has the
gravity, the resources, and available areas for settling down.

About the only reason I can think of to go to Phobos would be that it is
outside the Martian atmosphere, therefore not subject to duststorms, and
would be easier to land on as well.  But, once you obviate those two
(limited) advantages, on balance it seems to me that it's just an unnecessary
extra step.

-- JHB