One problem mentioned here is the circulation of the blood inasmuch as the
heart muscle won't be under enough stress to work properly. How about, for
those expecting to spend a whole lifetime in space, replacing the organic
heart with a mechanical pump powered by a long life battery? If the body
stops functioning for some reason, the pump would automatically shut off,
but only after the cessation of electrical brain activity which would be
monitored by the mechanical heart. If the brain activity stops (brain
death), then the heart stops. That would ensure that the mechanical heart
wouldn't keep pumping blood after the body has died. I don't think this
particular bionic symbiosis is that far out, especially since artificial
hearts have been working well for some time now.
Now, you will ask, "If we put in a mechanical heart, and artificial limbs,
or no legs at all, or other bionic combinations, why not just create robots
to go into space?" Well, we'll probably do that for some routine activities
such as minding the temperature, sounding collision alarms, monitoring the
communications, et al., (you all know "Al", don't you?), there will be some
functions that will require the imagination, originality, and creativity
that only the human brain is capable of. Therefore, while AI (not Al) is
rapidly improving, it seems unlikely that the human presence will ever be
unnecessary. Read any of the stories where the human and the ship are melded
into a symbiotic unit? Fascinating concept.
I don't know about the "legless astronaut" idea. Have to give that some more
thought.
Watch the skies!
G. B. Leatherwood