Bruce wrote:

> ... for the simple reason that MGS' photos have a top resolution of
> fully 1.4 meters per pixel -- which means there's no way they could possibly
> show the lander as anything more than a speck composed of 2 or 3 pixels,
> which would thus show absolutely nothing about its landing condition, or
> even allow its identification with any confidence.

I think you underestimate the cleverness of the folks who do
image reconstruction.  If you combine the ship and its shadows
based on different positions of the sun, you can probably
tell quite a bit.

Be that as it may, you can *bet* there are some people at NASA
staying awake late at night figuring out *how* to get higher
resolution images of that site for a future face saving
announcement.  You have to imagine that there are also some people
really annoyed if its just sitting there and won't talk to us.

It would be interesting to see the RFP's to return it to
"operational condition" if it is still intact.

Robert