> It was a sad, sad day when the US space program scrapped the Saturn 5
> booster system--a flawless heavy-lift rocket.  My understanding is
> the blueprints were kept in a trailer and got trashed or burned, by
> accident or otherwise.

An urban legend.  The blueprints for the Saturn 5 still exist, but it would
not be cost-effective to revive it, since the tooling used to build it has
long since been destroyed (and technology in many areas has improved quite a
bit since then.)

More info: http://www.urbanlegends.com/science/saturn_v_blueprints.html

>  That just leaves the Russian Energia rocket,
> assuming they still have any and the politics can be worked out, or a
> new US rocket technology development.

The Energia is as dead as the Saturn V.  Neither will be launching missions
to Europa.

Jeff Foust
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

PS: for the benefit of those on the digest version of the list, please post
your messages in plain text, not HTML.  Thanks.